Meat-free burgers are not created equal, but they are an essential addition to a good barbecue. Our food team hosted a lunchtime workshop and taught a bunch of us from HQ how to make these delicious bean burgers. If you try the recipe for yourself, do send us a picture and let us know how it was.
- 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 100g cooked brown rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 25g panko breadcrumbs
- flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped to make 1 tbsp
1. Tip all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until combined. Divide into 4 and shape into burger patties. Place onto an oiled baking sheet or plate and chill for at least 30 minutes, or until needed.
2. Heat a barbecue, griddle pan or frying pan to high. Brush the burgers with a little olive oil, and cook for 3 minutes on each side, moving as little as possible to avoid breaking them up, and to get a lovely crust.
3. Place into a toasted brioche burger bun, with all your favourite toppings.